Sunday, July 3, 2011

#4


Sam Hamill and Carolyn Forch both had interesting views on poetry of witness. They shared some similarities but they as well had their differences of viewing poetry. Perhaps the time period in which each of them wrote the text could have had all of affect on their thoughts. Nevertheless, they are great pieces of literature that mark a place in the history of poetry. If I had to choose one out of the two, I’d say I liked what Sam Hamill had to say about poetry and using it as a tool to speak the mind by expressing oneself through writing. Writing a poem can be a way for victims to teach others about life lessons. For example, the prisoners that Sam Hamill mentioned wrote about experiences they had. The text can help inform others that they too can stand up for themselves and to learn from one another’s mistakes and experiences, so that abuse be stopped, or at least brought down to a lower level. I also enjoyed the fact of how Sam turns his lifestyle around to help others in prison realize their wrong doings and also show them that they can stick up for themselves without being afraid. On the other hand, I interpreted Carolyn Forch as using poetry to talk about political problems and social classes. I too believe that it is important to mention politics in poetry because it can be used to show readers the type of things people debated about. At first glance, this did not interest me much because I am not all that into politics and such, but as soon as the author began brining in evidence of an event, it can be more joyful for one to read and discover data that can only be heard first hand from a witness. As I read continued viewing both of their views, I could not find something that I would really disagree with. I mean a lot of the stuff the authors mention is controversial, but I can come to understand as to why they feel the way that they do. In the end, everyone has their own style of writing. 
Image Link

Here is a link to some poetry of witness poems.

5 comments:

  1. Jamie

    I enjoyed your post on Sam Hamill and Carolyn Forche.
    You brought up some good points on Forche, on her statement of using poetry to talk about political and social problems. A poets witness of these problems, is often a way to bring exposure to a world we have had little or no experince with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime
    Good job man im very impressed by the way you pointed out a lot of good points on Sam Hamill i would choose him to out those two pieces. Like you said poetry can help victims to teach lessons and I'm a big fan of people who writes poetry with a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, I very much enjoyed your blog about poetry of witness. The statement you make that “writing a poem can be a way for victims to teach others about life lessons” is a great example of what poetry of witness means. I also liked Sam Hamill’s essay and agree… that we need to speak our mind even when the subject manner is difficult to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the first person who has pointed out that aspect of Poetry of Witness, and honestly I hadn't even thought of it in that way that the victims to teach others about life lessons. That is an interesting way for me to read the poetry now, because of all of the meanings it could have behind its purpose of being written in the first place. Very good point, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I too favored Hamill's writings because of the way he described the use of poetry. I’m not big on politics either and even though Forche brought in some interesting thoughts, it just didn’t interest me like Hamill's writing. I also agree that witness writing is a great way to help those in the future avoid making the same mistakes.

    ReplyDelete