Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer English Reflection


Wow, what a semester it has been. Even though it is only an eight-week class, those past weeks were tougher than I expected. I mean the class really worked me, there where several times when I just sat and starred at the assignment with an oh my god expression on my face. At first glance, I said to myself, how is this going to be possible!? Then I just backed up for a second and tried to go at it again, but with an open mind, as good reader should. On the positive side, this class taught me a lot of skills that I will be able to carry over into my other classes. For instance, to look past the general text and actually go into trying to figure out symbols and clues that can lead one to discover new meanings behind a story. I believe this will help me in my future classes because then I will be able to come up with different conclusions when I hit an obstacle. In addition, the readings in the class have also taught me more about history and the shocking events that some people have gone through. Another thing that amazed me was that one can learn a lot from reading poetry, which at first sounded kind of crazy, but in reality poetry can have a lot of meaning behind it and in consequence serve as a lesson. Then again, interpreting the poems can be a struggle. I am going to be honest; there were times when I had no idea what the poet was talking about. The text just did not click in my head, so I would sit, and repeatedly read the poem over and over again until something sparked in my head. It was only in that way that I could overcome that obstacle. Not to mention, the essays were probably the most challenging part of the class for their elusive context. In the end, this English class has taught me plenty of high-quality skills that I will be able to continue using in my future college classes. All I can say now is, Thank You.

1 comment:

  1. Jaime

    Great post. I can tell that you learned a lot about perseverance in this class. You seem to have grasped how to interpret and analysis. You have become a good reader, learning to read over and over again, until you are able to figure out what the author is trying to say.
    I agree with you that the skills we learned in this fast and furious class, will help us become commitment readers and proficient writers.

    ReplyDelete